International Guest Services - German Language
** This opening specifically requires fluency in GERMAN language and ability to perform translations between English and German.**
POSITION SUMMARY / ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The International Guest Services assists all guests at the Guest Services Desk, but concentrates specifically on non-English-speaking groups and individual guests with their special needs and requirements in their native languages so as to give them a full, first class cruise experience.
- Receives and handles special requests from non-English-speaking groups and individual guests.
- Works in conjunction with, and assists, the Group Services Coordinator and Guest Service Manager with handling special requests such as Honeymoon set-ups, Anniversary Packages, Birthday Packages, special dietary needs, medical needs, etc. for non-English-speaking guests. Follows up to ensure departments responsible have completed the requirements.
- Contacts Group Leaders of non-English-speaking guests to assist the Group Services Coordinator in organizing group events.
- Contacts non-English-speaking guests when necessary to offer assistance in making restaurant bookings, ordering special local/dietary food, arranging special tours on board and with shore excursions.
- Available for daily, advertised desk hours at the Guest Services Desk to answer questions and provide assistance to non-English-speaking guests.
- Assists at embarkation, disembarkation and port talks, as well as being present during these times to assist non-English-speaking guests where necessary. Available at Immigration and Customs inspections, etc.
- Available to act as translator for non-English speaking guests needing to communicate with shipboard departments including, but not limited to, Medical, Security, Revenue outlets, Restaurant, Senior management.
- Coordinates announcements and the translation/printing of the Freestyle Daily, into the required languages relative to the non-English-speaking guest ratio on board each cruise.
- Meets and greets non-English-speaking VIP guests staying in suites as necessary and whenever possible.
- Handles guest requests in an effective way by taking ownership of the request then following-up until the matter is finalized to the guests’ satisfaction.
- Maintains a cash float for giving change and cashing traveler checks for guests.
- Available to assist Cruise Programs department in leading specific activities for non-English-speaking guests.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or as directed. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
- Must be familiar with the Safety and Environmental Protection Policy and the SEMS, and carry out the policies and procedures appropriate for his/her position.
QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS
- Intermediate to Advanced verbal and written level of English is required.
- Advanced to native verbal and written fluency in German is required.
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Micros and Fidelio Cruise is required.
- Must have at least one year management experience in Hotel and/or hospitality establishments; or in Guest Service related positions on board ships.
- Two-year Associates degree or equivalent in Public Relations and/or Hotel management from a recognized hotel institution.
- Able to work independently
- Must be a quick and critical thinker, and a patient listener
- Able to speak publicly to large groups if necessary
- Customer Service/Guest Relations Oriented, Leadership Skills and Well Organized
- Proactive, Team Player, Problem Solver
- Passionate about hospitality and customer service driven
This opportunity is working onboard a cruise ship for contract durations of 16 weeks onboard followed by 8 weeks off. While onboard, you will have working shifts every day. There is no full day off.
Shared accomodations, all meals, uniforms, medical care while onboard, flights to/from home and vessel are all provided by Norwegian Cruise Line.
- Guest Services
- Customer Service
- Front Desk
- Good Interpersonal Skills
- Patient And Sympathetic
- Public Speaking
- Well Organized
- Analysis & Problem Solving
- A Team Player
- Leadership Skills
- Critical Thinking
- Hotel Management